Discover Your Future Story
Discover your ‘Future Story’ at a school for every high attaining student!
Colyton Grammar School is a state school that provides an exceptional and free education to high attaining students from all backgrounds. Our purpose is to enable all of our students, regardless of background, to thrive on highly selective courses at elite universities and to be happy and successful in their future careers. We help to improve opportunities and life-chances for individuals and communities. As a result, we aim for our admissions process to be as open and accessible as possible.
Widening Access Programme
We are committed to supporting students who meet the eligibility criteria to be happy and confident when taking the 11+ test. Those who meet the criteria can expect the following from us:
Online Familiarisation Materials: We provide at least 10 hours of familiarisation materials via our online platform. We are able to review children’s progress and provide feedback to aid confidence in taking the actual test.
Familiarisation workshops at Colyton Grammar School: Our Year 12 students run sessions in Mathematics and English for primary school aged children. We believe that children will be inspired by the intellectual challenge and exciting atmosphere of these sessions. They will be fun and a great learning experience for children regardless of whether they have considered Colyton Grammar School as a future secondary school. They will have access to workbooks via our Virtual Learning Environment and other resources that we feel will support your child and the programme will end with a familiarisation test. Parents/Guardians are most welcome to join us at the final session and we will provide a tour and answer any questions you may have about the school and the admissions process.
Year 7 Admissions
Admission to Colyton Grammar School is primarily based on an entrance test and we want every student to feel confident and happy that they should take this test. Applicants in receipt of Pupil Premium, or who are looked after or previously looked after, are prioritised when offers of places at the school are made. In effect, a lower contextual entrance mark is required.
In Year Admissions
If a place becomes available after the 31st December of the first term in Year 7, a student who is eligible can apply for the place using their Key Stage 2 SAT score alone. There will not be a need for a student to take an admissions test if they have a SAT score above 110 as all eligible applicants will be assessed using their SAT scores (see In-Year Admissions Policy for further detail).
Primary School Partnerships
Our admissions test is based on the primary school curriculum for English and Mathematics, and we offer free sessions to primary schools in these subjects and the sciences, and in robotics, to provide scholastic challenge to help students to reach the higher level of attainment at Key Stage 2.
In addition, we offer primary school extended support programmes for eligible children in Years 4 to 6, including enrichment activities, mentoring and 11+ familiarisation.
If you would like to know more and would also like to work with us in any of the activities mentioned above, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Support - The CGS Promise
We know that parents may worry about the cost of sending their child to school and we want to take that worry away.
If your child is currently eligible, a free school meal will be provided. In addition, for any student offered a place at Colyton Grammar School, who is eligible for pupil premium we will provide:
- Confidentiality: about financial arrangements with regard to your child. Assistance is given automatically with the minimum of fuss so that no family can be identified as receiving support. The Finance Team is there for you to talk to privately about any financial concerns.
- Payment of up to 50% towards transport costs: to get your child to and from school.
- A grant of £100 per year: for compulsory school uniform (vouchers will be provided in units of £25)
- Free CGS Sports Kit: for core school sports kit.
- Free calculator for Maths: essential for lessons.
- Free essential school trips: There will be no charge for educational visits that every student is expected to attend, and which are integral to the school curriculum.
- A grant of £250: towards one residential trip in Years 7 – 11. Additional funds may also be available through the Bradbeer Foundation.
- Subsidised music lessons: up to a cost of £100 per year where individual music lessons are taken in school.
Students in Year 12 and Year 13 who are eligible, you will be supported with your application for the 16-19 Bursary, which can be used to support you financially. In addition, we look to support you with additional funds through the Bradbeer Foundation
Colyton Grammar School is the highest performing school in the region, and we are dedicated to supporting your future. If you have any questions regarding the admissions process, please do contact the admissions team at email@example.com
 1. Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children, including those children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted, who are on the eligible list.
2. Children currently registered as eligible for free school meals and children who have been registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last six years; and children whose parent(s)/guardian(s) are serving in the regular UK armed forces, to the children of regular armed forces personnel who were serving in the past 3 years, or to children who are in receipt of a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and the War Pensions Scheme because their parent(s)/guardian(s) died on active service with the UK armed forces.
Fair access and partnership plan
Discover project dates
Each session starts at 4pm and finishes at 5pm